Lost RPM's after break-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost RPM's after break-in

Just after the break-in 10 hours, I was running at full throttle 4000 rpm and then the boat slowed way down to 1000 rpm. I killed the throttle and tried it again. It seemed to stay lugged down. Reverse worked. After shifting back and forth a few times, I ran slower 2500 rpm to the dock. I pulled the prop and changed the lower unit oil. No string or anything at all on the prop shaft. The oil only had about a 1/8 " ball of metal flakes on the plug magnet. The oil was clear and green, just like the oil that went back in. After running again, 3000 rpm is the most I can get. I have a V6 4.3 L with the SE 106 1.81 gear ratio. In neutral, the motor spins up fine. During breakin I had noticed a variable whine at low rpm coming back to the slip. I had also noticed rpm increasing as the break in hours increased, which I thought was encouraging, and after break-in, it ran up to rpms. I haven't changed the fuel filter and replaced all the fuel lines. In the previous starts before this I had noticed a squeal like a belt which went away a few seconds after ignition. I've read other posts here about drive couplers and gimble bearings. I didn't have any smoke and I'm not hearing any noises. My prop is a 14x19. Any possibilities?
    Last edited by DC215; 08-02-2009, 10:49 AM. Reason: added info

It sounds like the engine is not making enough power, so something must have changed or failed on the engine to reduce the RPM's. If your prop hub or coupler was spinning, your RPM's would be high, but the boat wouldn't be going as fast as normal.

I would be looking at the engine first, maybe bad fuel, or you dropped a cylinder.

Tech Support

Comment

thanks, I'll look up the filter

Comment

Working...
      X