Noise @ Full Turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise @ Full Turn

I bought my SEI upper unit about 3 years ago and every since I have installed it the unit makes a clicking/knocking noise when getting close to full left and full right. when the boat is fully turned the noise is pretty loud. I have a 1985 Four Winns 190 Horizon Cuddy. It has a 3.7 liter 4 cylinder. When I got the boat before I replaced the upper unit it did not make a noise like this. Please help.

I believe tech support will reply tommorrow morning probably with a better reply, but I would start by pulling off the drive and checkiing the ujoints for any play.

I'm assumung the drive is making this noise when turning while it is trimmed down not trimmed up (too far)
    Last edited by Island; 08-07-2009, 09:12 PM.
    Island

Comment

Correct, the noise is made when the unit is lowered. I remember taking off the unit a couple of times to service and did not notice unusual play in the u-joints, but I could check that again.

Comment

When checking the u-joints, you are looking for side to side play. That should be what causes the noise. Also you can look at all of the edges of the yoke and see if there is any indication of rubbing. Sometimes the h-yoke will have a fairly large casting line that might rub when turning.

Has the noise stayed consistant, or has it gotten louder over the years?

Tech Support
        Last edited by Tech Support; 08-07-2009, 08:51 AM.

Comment

The noise has been consistant. I will check the yoke. I want to lean towards the yoke rubbing. I will look for this. Can you advise on the following:

1. Is the fix replacing both sides of the U joint? The propeller side seems to be a big job.
          2. Where do I get the parts for this? Is there anyway the warranty would cover this even though it has been around 3 years since purchase.
          3. Can the U-Joint be ground down or filed?

Comment

Looked at the U-joints today. There was a very faint appearance of a rub on the h yoke that is closest to the propeller. I filed this area down. I would think for the noise it was making it would be very distinct. Another thing I noticed about the yoke was that the back side appears to be rubbing on the inside of the tube about a 1/16" line all the way around that suggests maybe the u-joint is set to far back in the tube. I don't know if this would cause the noise though?

Comment

I would think if it was the spot you filed down, that it would have clearanced itself as it was rubbing. Did you check the u-joints carefully for any side to side play?

As far as warranty goes, it is based off of the ship date. If you call the warranty department with the serial number they can check the status for you.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
              X