can't get lower unit off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't get lower unit off

I am trying to replace my water pump and i can't get the lower gear housing off. all the bolts are removed as the manual requires, but i can't seem to break it free. any suggestions? boat is in nuetral, i tried putting it in gear but that didn't work either. Does the prop really need to come off?

what type of unit.
    Alpha`s have 5 nuts and a bolt under the trim tab, GEN II`s have 4 nuts and bolts, 1 bolt foward, and 1 bolt under the trim tab.

Comment

it was the bolt under the trim tab that i missed. the manual i had didn't mention that bolt.

I have a new problem now. while i had the lower unit off, the bolt for the trim tab fell out and i didn't put it back in when i put the lower back on. the head of the bolt is to large to fit down the access hole used to tighten this bolt with an allen wrench. are there any alternatives to taking the unit apart again to get this bolt back in place?

Comment

You will need to remove the lower to get the bolt back in. I have seen people drill the hole out large enought to get the bolt in, but that is not ideal.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
        X