Outdrive Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdrive Oil

My question is do I risk water getting into the outdrive if I seal the outdrive at 4500 feet in elevation then run the boat at sea level. In theory the outdrive will be under a vaccum when I reach sea level. Then with the heat build up of the outdrive/cooling is it more likely that the outdrive will suck water past the seals.

would I be better off opening the top plug to equalize pressure before launching the boat?

I am running a SE106 (100 hrs on it, purchased this spring) with a 140hp Gm engine. I was thinking because of the hp I would not need a drive shower. After running the boat 21 foot starcraft at 20mph for 30-40 min the outdrive was fairly hot, just very very uncomfortable to keep your fingers on the outdrive. Do you still recommend a drive shower with only 140hp?

Outdrive sounds good, while changing the oil today the oil looks ok with just a hint of milkyness but I have run the same oil for 90 hrs of running/trolling. Probably 50hrs of run time.

Thanks for a good outdrive
    steven

any help on this question SEI

SEI do you have any comments on this question.

Comment

Sorry, not sure how we missed this post. To be safe, I would loosen the top plug to equalize the pressure. As far as the drive shower is concerned, if you run on plane for more than 30 minutes quite commonly, then I would recommend a drive shower. If you only do it on rare occasions, ghen I wouldn't worry about it.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
      X