Still have outdrive noise after allot of hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still have outdrive noise after allot of hours

We have run our new outdrive for almost a full season, Installed in March of this year. I have read post where the whine in the outdrive is suppose to go away after 10-15 hours. When installed sure enough the whine was there, this was not an issue read about this before purchase. I cannot complain about the performance of the outdrive, all parts including engine, gimble , plate and outdrive, hydra. pump replaced new. Outdrive gear oil has been changed three times.

We have put a considerable amount of hours ( 400 ), more than most on the new set up in one season, Still there is a loud whine coming from outdrive only in gear under load. We own a marina and we are not a shade tree mechanics. We have three other SEI outdrives at the our marina, non which whine like this one. It is most apparent that it is gear whine, I would have thought that if it was in fact going to quite down it would have by now with this amount of hours.

Any suggestions ?

Typically the whine is part of the break in process, but at 400 hours you are well past any break in. Also, since you have 400 hours it is unlikely that there is anything major going on, or it would have failed by now. You could call the warranty department, but I am not sure if you have a warranty since judging by your use, it is either rental or commercial use.

Thanks,

Tech Support

Comment

Tech support,

The boat is for personal purposes with my family, not a rental and not commercial. We fish the chesapeake bay all year, trolling alone puts 6 plus hours a day , 400 hours is not alot of hours when you add in trolling times at idle speed, however the break in time at faster speeds is more than enough there, considering to and from which is 40 minutes round trip. The outdrive has had a drive shower since new ( SEI recommended ). the season is drawing to an end in the next month, I will record the noise and send it to who ever wants to hear it. The outdrive is still under warranty. As I posted, the performance is there, and there has been no metal shavings in lower unit when lube was changed ( Ever ). But the whine is something to be reckoned with. Sounds like a saw going through the Haul. I am aware of how the gears are cut and that causes the whine during break in.

Comment

Sorry, you mentioned that you owned a Marina, and have 3 other drives, So I just assumed it was commercial or rental. Feel free to call the warranty department with the serial numbers and they will look into it for you.

Thanks,

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
        X