• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help!.gear shifting set up?

se116.

hi,just put on the new drive on.

ok here we go!.been at this all weekend and now give up:???:

when i run it out of water. i can shift ok.
    so on friday booked a lift to put the boat back on the water to drive back
    to my dock.
    so i run the engine up to temp went to shift engine cut out.

so then i did try to back up same,

now on my alph one gen 2 all this was fine.

i then set the engine at 850-900rpm.she will some times go in to gear but when you pull it out it will cut out.also the revrse gear.when i go back to n,pos,.it will stay in gear.

so i was trying to setup the cables,kill switch for the new drive.but i give up:(
    the mad thing is some times where its set at it works fine for a few shifts .then when i pull it out of gear cuts out.but i got it now to go in ok.
    and it will then not come out of reverse.

thanks

650-750 in water, in gear
    Shift interupter not working

Comment

hi, the Shift interupter is 100% working.i can get it in to gear not to bad.
      but when i try to get it out. sometimes you can do a few shifts ok .
      or then i have over kill like the interupter is to slow getting it out of gear.
      or will not come out of gear at all.

i have had a go at setting up ,

the interupter,lower cable,and top one.and been at this all weekend.

i did not have this on the old drive. im stuck what to do now.

the shift shaft is ok.
      the upper and lower cables move ok not stiff.

Comment

Tech Support, I am still waiting to hear from you regarding the shift issue.

Comment

The shift interupter does not work on land or going into gear.Only coming out of gear .

Comment

when i put the boat in the water then it started to play up.and yes it will work out of water no load on it.

so i need help plz.

Comment

also the interupter will make the engine drop the revs or sometimes make it cut out when i put in gear.

Comment

a lower cable damaged from water entry or a severe overheat,most times the cable is touching the exaust tube
                corrosion in the shift components in the housing
                a binding/damaged lower unit
                http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Techbk/94/94hsa2.pdf
                cable adj.

Comment

done all that i did i been at this all weekend.got that book on the boat.

it must be your lower unit.

the cabels are in good shape.ie i looked at them b4 i put the new drive on.

and (the old drive was working ok) .in and out of gear.no over kill.

so how can it be the cabels?. if your drive is the same has a oem drive why the hell cant i get it to work .

i am a fitter myself 29yrs in the car trade .its not bad cabels or kill switch.

if i ajust the lower cabel 1/2 turn one way i cant get it to go into fwd gear.over kill

same thing if i back it off for rev over kill or stay in gear.or it will shift ok for a few times

Comment

Did you email tech@sterndrive.cc for the shift document yet? That might help you out. I am not sure what your problem is, but the guide should walk you through most possibilities.

Tech Support

Comment

just a update,

i done it .so i went out for the first run today. with the odd cut out. not to bad

i did a full cable adj.and switch.

i got that run in noise . and i put 2hrs on it.

whats the max rpm i can run at on run in?. also i got a 19 pich prop on it now.

24 foot maxum 2300sc boat. what size is safe to go up to.

thanks.

Comment

I would keep the RPM's under 3500 for the first 5 hours. Between 5 and 10 you can run full throttle for a short periods of a minute or so.

As far as the prop is concerned, wait until the drive is broken in and then do a top speed test to find your max rpm. Adjust the prop pitch up or down based on your findings.

Tech Support

Comment

ok thanks, ;)

Comment

Working...
                          X