No reverse- Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No reverse- Please help!

I came over today (4-14-08) and purchased a new complete SE106 and when I got home and installed it I found the lower will not go into reverse.

My old drive had no issues going into gear so I began by looking at the brass shift shaft when the shifter is moved. I find it will only turn one direction (left when facing the rear of the boat) which is forward gear. When you attempt to put it in reverse it stops in the middle (pointing forward) and will not turn clockwise beyond straight forward.

Please advise me on what may be the issue.
    I've tried it both with the engine running and off and it still refuses to turn clockwise beyond straight forward.

Thank you
    Jesse
    19' 1987 Sea Ray Sorrento
    4.3 liter HO
    Alpha 1, Gen 1 1.84

I have it narrowed down to a shift cable issue but still baffled by what it's doing. It appears the cable is too short to shift into both forward and reverse...

When I adjust the cable in either direction I get either good engagement into forward or reverse then it's too short to engage the other direction...Feels like I'm running out of cable.

I am not really sure what to do at this point. It worked fine with the old drive...Why are there problems now?

Thanks
    19' 1987 Sea Ray Sorrento
    4.3 liter HO
    Alpha 1, Gen 1 1.84

Comment

It sounds as if you might not have the intermediate shift shaft aligned properly. You should turn the shift shaft clockwise while turning the prop shaft counterclockwise until it locks. This is forward gear. You need to then lift the brass shaft up off the splines and orient it straight forward. You can then turn the brass shift shaft counterclockwise while turning the prop shaft clockwise until it locks into reverse. This should take no more than 70 degrees swing.
      If you continue to have a problem please give us a call at 813-925-7127
      Monday-Friday between 8AM and 5PM Eastern time.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
      X